I’ve seen the sentiment in comment threads here before, so I wanted to have a bigger discussion.
I’ve always voted Democrat; it was the obvious choice for me because of these various things:
- general feminist sentiment
- anti- police brutality
- general equality sentiment (wrt gender, race, income)
- raising minimum wage (I have a high income but I think it’s valuable to vote not only in your interest)
- care for the environment
I live in a super liberal city, with all-democrat controlled govt, and it’s been all-Democrat for decades. Here is what I observe in my city:
- high crime (I feel unsafe even during the daytime, I’ve been accosted and screamed at by homeless men before, and there’s violent crime as well)
- high rates of homelessness (some areas near me are so full of tents you simply can’t go through there, I worry about walking my dog and need to be hyper alert for needles everywhere)
- in my state, abortion is legal so that’s good
- high rates of police brutality and general racist sentiment from them (individual officers keep getting busted for their awful online posts)
- infrastructure is quite bad; roads are in poor condition throughout my major city
- I am not sure on the state of environmental efforts, can’t comment on that
- minimum wage is much better than national average
It’s sort of a mixed bag. Some things I care about are going well, many are not. Now with roe v wade going to the Supreme Court, as well as my perception that nothing particularly helpful has been passed at the national level since we got biden, I am feeling disgruntled. And, with the Democrats being all-in on trans rights stuff, that puts me off further.
But I feel the republicans have essentially NO policies I support. The only reason they aren’t pro-trans is because they want to enforce gender roles, and that’s shitty. Voting for a third party feels like I’m either not voting at all, or worse, I’m giving a vote to the republicans.
I know I’ve seen similar sentiment here before. What can we do to make ourselves heard? Is this just how it’s always been and it’s always gonna be two parties, one that promises nice things but doesn’t do shit, and one that promises terrible things and follows through?